So, you have finally decided to move out of your parent’s house. Yes, 18 is an appropriate age to start your independent life. And it is your personal decision if you want to continue staying in the same city or move out to an entirely new location. Perhaps, your career path shall be your guiding star in this respect. But since you will be on your own, you have to learn to think of some crucial factors (read: responsibilities) that come along with this independence.
What to do after deciding to move out of your parent’s house?
Let us break the myth. Moving out of the house and staying independent is not that ornamental stage of life like they show you in movies. You have to tackle lots of matters simultaneously, and you might not even be ready for some of them. To stay practical in your decision and ensure that everything happens smoothly, read on:
- Discuss the matter with your parents – Though you are starting a new life on your own, it doesn’t harm in getting some suggestions and ideas from your elders. They are full of experience and assuredly very happy for you as well. So, take some guidance and advice from them about your new setup and start everything accordingly.
- Sketch a moving-out program – Now comes the main task. You have to create a perfect plan about how you are going to go through the entire procedure. You have to take a few days off beforehand to move everything out of the house. You even have to book the packers and movers for the task. But before that remember to sort what all shall move with you, what to keep, and what to discard. When everything is planned meticulously, you don’t have to struggle with your schedule later.
- Determine your budget – Finances are of extreme importance if you plan to move out on your own. From your regular, daily expenses to the rent or mortgage of the new house, you will require funds to fulfill your needs. Do you have ample money to suffice? Will you be able to pay your bills and stay at a convenient location comfortably? Or do you need to get a loan until you find a rewarding job! You have to start saving way before you move out and even plan your budget accordingly.
- Search for a new home – You have to search for a new nest before leaving your parent’s residence. Depending upon your budget, you can either look for a rental property or a permanent house for yourself. There are lots of real estate agents who will happily help you with this task. And if you decide to move to a city like Spokane, WA, the real estate agents, Rich King Real Estate can be at your disposal to help you find the best home for yourself. They ensure finding a place that would be within your budget and even convenient and comfortable enough for your stay. To warm up before you settle down, you may do all the touristy stuff to get the feel of the new town.
- Start purchasing the stuff you shall need – After completing the above checklist, you can start shopping for the necessities for the new house. Depending upon your budget, you can either pick pre-loved furniture and household bits and bobs or simply go for brand new artefacts. Since you already listed what you are taking along with you, now you can easily list all the stuff you shall need to buy.
Well, there are various things to do since you are moving to a new house independently. You already have more than enough on your plate and your parents won’t be there to manage it all for you. Yes, they’ll surely guide and help you out. But overall, the responsibility lies on your shoulders. Ensure you prove yourself in this first stage of being independent in your life. This would be a stepping stone of a learning experience for your future. Now, all you have to do is let friends and family know where they can find you! Or are you planning a housewarming gala?